Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Barcelona run down

Yesteday morning we woke up and had a nice breakfast at the hostel, gotta love the word free. We immediately headed out and went down to the plaza to buy city tour bus tickets. With there tickets we got to see the entire north, south, and western part of the city. We visited Gaudi's catherdral that has been under construction for decades and is not going to be finished for another seventy years. His architechture is absoluety amazing and I ccould not believe how high each tower reached. I beleieve the tallest tower will reach 187 meters. We sat on the top of the doible decker bus so we could have a good view of all the sights thats we passed. In the western part of the city we stopped and toured Camp Nou, which is home to F.C. Barcelona. We toured much of their facilities including the feild, the locker rooms, the press box, the seats, and chapel, the post-game room, and much much more. We even got to step on the field and we were not suppose to. We took pictures with the cutout players and when the picture was taken we stepped back onto the field (muhahaha). From Camp Nou we continued on with our tour after grabbing Subway for a quick lunch.. frickin american food.... We took the bus to the harbor where we cut west and headed for the Piccasso Meseum. The art was beautiful and I have never appreciated the work of an artist like Pablo Piccasso. We spent about two hours viewing his work starting from his early age of 13 all the way up until his death. After the mesuem we walked back towards our hostel and hit up La Ramblas, the main drag in Barcelona. I watch a man jump three random people, it was one of the craziest thing I have ever seen! We made a short stop at the hostel before heading out to snap pictures of Gaudi's cathedral again and eat dinner. I have a beefsteak, salad, fries, and a fried egg.. all delicious. We came back to the hostel after dinner and showered up. I had no plans to go out but as you read last night, that changed quickly. I was convinced by my roommates to go down to the hostel bar and then our after, so I did. We drank a fair amount here at the bar which was pretty packed with people from all over the world (best part about this trip). Our roommates Joe, Jessica, and Kathrine were a lot of fun and it is easy to make conversation when you have so much to learn about another person's culture. We played Irish poker (a drinking game) but a Canadian version which was pretty gimp. Around 2am we wondered out into the city and with hopers to buy more beer, but our hopes were smashed and we quickly ran back for last call at the hostel bar. We were up until about 2:30am when the Magic v Cavs game came on.. scary. We all decided it was time for bed and we headed up to the room. It was only a matter or seconds before I was a sleep, but quickly awoke during the night to urinate. When I got to the bathroom, the door was closed (which was odd for our bathroom) and I noticed someone's shorts the second i pushed open the door. I walked in and Dan was passed out on a 3 ft long bench and he had no idea how he had gotten there! hahahahahaha When he got up to leave the bathroom he almost fell over because his foot was a sleep, and I laughed my ass off. I got back in bed and passed out.


Unfortounetly the alarm died so we slept in till 10am and got ready and back out into the city by 11am. We were all very cranky and getting a little angry with one another because we were not coordinating things very well. This soon passed when we reached the meseum on the top of the city on the eastern coast area. We took a ton of pictures of the city at the highest point we could get too. The sight of the city from the very top was so awesome, words and pictures cannot even explain. After taking a million pictures we got on the bus and made our way down to the beach. It took some time to get there because of all the bus stops but we made it with no problem. When we got off there was a tree on fire and the Bombers (Fire Fighters) were pulling up to put it out so I snapped a few pictures. We walked down the boardwalk and as soon as we got to the beach a fully nude man came walking past (Welcome to Barcelona!). That was the last of the penis we saw, thank god. We walked down the beach for about a mile before finding a spot. BArcelona has no shame, as all the beaches you are able to take your top off. I saw more breasts today than I think I will ever again in my life. I like how this place is non-judgemental and very laid back. We finally picked a spot and set up base camp. Even the mothers with their entire family had their tops off.. a bit odd, but it is what it is. We laid our for a while before Jed, Dan, and I hit the water. It was super cold, but the waves were huge and the fact that we were swimming in the Mediterranian Seas was sweeeeeet. We bodysurfed for a good 45 mintues before we had to leave for the hostel. We had plans to meet our roommates back at 5 for dinner and getting ready for the game. We toured the city some more on foot on our walk back and took in more of the architechture (never gets old). We got back just at 5 and showered to rinse off the salt that was caked on us. I burned and I hope it turns to a nice tan. We had a beer before taking off for dinner. We eventually ended up at a nice resturant where I had raviolli and sangria. Both the dish and the drink were good, and I had some of Kathrine's spagetti which was even better. Right after dinner we ran over to the supermarket and picked up water, run, coke, chips, and so on. Barcelona v Manchester United was being played in the plaza (so we though) so we set up a spot and started drinking. Soon after sitting down we learned that the game would not be shown in the plaza and that it would be shown on the big screen at the Harbor. We quickly rounded up the crew, which also consisted of our new roommate Jorge from Mexico/Seattle and made a break for the Harbor with thousands of other people. For those who do not know what we were going to watch, it was the Super Bowl of European soccer, which is bigger than the Super Bowl. We got to the Harbor where masses of people were waving flags, setting of flares, fireworks, and having a good time. We made it just in time for the game and in the 10th mintues Barcelona scored it's first of two goals. I have never seen anything like the things I witnessed tonight. Barcelona scored again in about the 70th minute and things got crazy again. It was so insane that I will have to let the pictures tell that story. So much booze, marijuana, and even the guys next to us were doing coke. No one was being rude of disrespectful so I did not mind anything since we did not have to talk to them. As you can guess Barcelona ended up winning and the entire city being in one place went insane. People were cheering, crying, singing, chanting, drinking, and smoking cigars. It is a memory I will never forget, and it was a once in a life time experience. The walk back was amazing as well, as all the streets were filled with people chanting, lighting flares, blowing off fireworks, and hanging out windows of cars. It took a very very long time to walk back to the hostel after taking place in the celebration around the city and on La Ramblas. Again, the pictures will explain all of this and give a more real sense of how this city blew up after the win. I made it back to the hostel safely and decided that I would post this and get a good night of sleep after a long day. I am sure Nick will post the pictures of what went down tonight and how amazing it really was. No one was being destructive, it was a giant celebration with the entire city taking part.

Until next time! (sorry spell check didn't work cause the internet is being slow)

Adios!

4 comments:

  1. What no Tapas????
    Aunt Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. What perfect timing to be in Barcelona!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you and all the great experiences you are having! I can't wait to hear more!

    Cousin Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy you had Sangria but a little disappointed, no tapas or paella????

    ReplyDelete